About Blog Action Day
Blog Action Day is an free annual event, that has run since 2007. It’s aim is to unite the world’s bloggers by posting about the same issue, on the same day, in order to raise awareness and trigger a positive global discussion around an important issue that impacts us all, raises awareness or even funds for not-for-profits associated to the theme issue.
What issues has Blog Action Day covered?
Blog Action Day has already covered lots of interesting topics since it start in 2007.
- 2007, was the theme of the Environment, we saw bloggers running environmental experiments, detailing innovative ideas on creating sustainable practices, and focusing their audience’s attention on organizations and companies promoting green agendas.
- 2008, we covered the theme of Poverty, and similarly focused the blogging community’s energies around discussing a wide breadth of the issues from many perspectives and identifying innovative and unexpected solutions.
- 2009, focused the conversation around Climate Change and brought our voices around the globe to discuss an issue that threatens us all, as well as mobilizing tens of thousands of people to get more involved in the movement for a more sustainable future.
- 2010, looked at the theme of Water, with thousands of bloggers eager to shed light on this often-overlooked topic and raise money for water related charities.
- 2011, focused on the many issues related to Food, such as health, hunger, quality, culture, farming, access and waste to coincide with World Food Day.
- 2012 focused on the theme the Power of We. This themed encouraged people to discuss how joining together by we could achieve important things to improve our society.
The theme for 2013, will be announced very soon.
The history of Blog Action Day
Blog Action Day was founded by Collis & Cyan Ta’eed in 2007. With the support of their team at Envato in Australia, as well as numerous volunteers, they recruited thousands of bloggers to blog about the issue of Environment on October 15, 2007 – making the first Blog Action Day an immediate and quite unexpected success.
In 2009, Collis & Cyan asked the team at Change.org, who where then the world’s leading blog network for social issues, to take over responsibility for Blog Action Day and expand its reach.
Change.org successfully grew Blog Action Day until 2011, when they handed on Blog Action Day to the Voice Blogging Project. The Voice Blogging Project have developed numerous blogging events and projects bringing bloggers, not-for-profits and media to cover global issues of human rights, environment, poverty & development since 2009.
The Voice Blogging Project is run by co-founders Karina Brisby and Jason Wojciechowski. Karina and Jason have extensive experience creating innovative digital projects in Europe, North America, Africa, Australia and South Asia, and when they are not working on Blog Action Day they are partners of Core Collaboration.
Info for the Press
Does your organisation want to partner with Blog Action Day?
Our partners and supporters are vital to the success of Blog Action Day and provide great content, ideas and networks for Blog Action Day participants.
Many of our partners and supporters return each year, past partners have included Oxfam, Greenpeace, Save the Children, Water Aid, Care International and many more. Take a look to see who partnered with us for our 2012 Power of We theme.